- EZ Building Climate Zone Finder: This tool, provided by the California Energy Commission (CEC), allows you to quickly find the climate zone your project is in by searching a location or specific address.
- Solar Assessment Tools: This is a list of CEC-approved solar assessment tools to comply with standards around installing solar photovoltaic systems in new, low-rise residential buildings
- 2022 Building Energy Efficiency Standards (final version) (PDF): This CEC document provides guidance on regulations around energy efficiency for residential and non-residential buildings, as per Title 24, Part 6. It details everything from mandatory requirements for solar readiness to mandatory indoor lighting controls. See the reference appendices below for definitions of unfamiliar terms and supporting images such as California’s Building Climate Zones. These appendices also include detailed breakdowns of design day data city by city, u-factors of different materials, and other number-based data.
- Reference Appendices for the 2022 Building Energy Efficiency Standards (PDF)
- 2022 Nonresidential and Multifamily Compliance Manual: for the 2022 Building Energy Efficiency Standards | California Energy Commission: This document provides the same guidance as above for nonresidential and multifamily properties.
- 2022 Single-Family Residential Compliance Manual: for the 2022 Building Energy Efficiency Standards | California Energy Commission (PDF): Here the California Energy Commission provides guidance specifically for single-family residential buildings.
- Housing and Community Development (HCD) Accessory Dwelling Unit Handbook (PDF): This document from the California Department of HCD provides a list of questions and answers about building practices for accessory dwelling units. Definitions, relevant California legislation, and zoning and development standards can all be found here.
- 2021 Building Energy Efficiency Standards Summary (PDF): This provides a brief, high-level overview of the 2022 Building Energy Standards, with a focus on what has changed compared to the 2019 building code.
- 2025 Building Energy Efficiency Standards: Visit this page to find the latest information on the California Energy Commission’s progress on the 2025 building code update and to provide input on potential energy efficiency measures.